June 2018 Newsletter: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
Once in a while I will read through my past newsletters to remind myself how important it is stay motivated and inspired each day in order to reach our goals. When I came across this newsletter I wrote back in February 2011, the topic made me smile. Why? Because I had just finished giving a speech about how we have to make strong affirmations and say them out loud and convince ourselves how we are one with our affirmation, we have to own it, be passionate about it and believe it and repeat it throughout the day. We become our thoughts.
Take the time to read these seven decisions by Andy Andrews, the author of one of my favorite books, The Traveler’s Gift. I feel a very deep connection with Andy’s story of the seven decisions that determine success. His book is, by far, one of the best self-development, motivating, and inspirational books I have ever read (besides Common Sense Selling and The Power of Asking, of course! https://vandeeb.com/bookstore/)
Reading about these decisions motivated and inspired me so much that I decided to share some of the main points with you… again.
You have the ability to incorporate into your life these seven decisions that will determine your personal success. Below are very brief excerpts of each decision; I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- THE BUCK STOPS HERE: I will not let my history control my destiny. I accept responsibility for my past. I am responsible for my success. My decisions have always been governed by my thinking. I control my thoughts. I control my emotions. My thoughts will be constructive, never destructive.
- I WILL SEEK WISDOM: I will train my eyes and ears to read and listen to books and recordings that bring about positive changes. I will read and listen only to what increases my belief in me and my future. I will choose to associate with people whose lives and lifestyles I admire. I will listen to the counsel of those who are wise. By learning from other people’s wisdom, I add their knowledge and experience to my own and dramatically increase my success. I will not look for someone to open my door; instead, I will seek to open the door for someone else.
- I AM A PERSON OF ACTION: I will create a new future by creating a new me. I inspire others with my activity. I am a leader. Knowing that laziness is a sin, I will create a habit of lively behavior. I will walk with a spring in my step and a smile on my face. My activity will create a wave of success for the people who follow me. As a leader, I have the ability to encourage and inspire others to greatness. I do not fear failure, because failure exists only for the person who quits. I do not quit. I am courageous. I am a leader. I seize the moment. I choose now.
- I HAVE A DECIDED HEART: I am passionate about my vision for the future. The power to control my direction belongs to me. Today I will begin to exercise that power. I will awaken every morning with an excitement about the new day and its opportunities for growth and change. Yes, I have a dream. It is a great dream. My hopes, my passions, my vision for the future are my very existence. A person without a dream never had a dream come true. My course has been charted, and my destiny is assured.
- TODAY I WILL CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY: Happiness is a choice. I am enthusiastic about each day. I am alert to its possibilities. I will become the master of my emotions. I will greet each day with laughter. I know that enthusiasm is the fuel that moves the world. The world belongs to the enthusiastic, for people will follow them anywhere! My smile has become my calling card. It is, after all, the most important weapon I possess. I am the possessor of a grateful spirit.
- I WILL GREET THIS DAY WITH A FORGIVING SPIRIT: By the act of forgiving, I am no longer consumed by unproductive thoughts. I will forgive those who have criticized me unjustly. I now understand that forgiveness has value only when it is given away. I forgive their lack of vision, and I forge ahead. I now know that criticism is part of the price paid for leaping past mediocrity. I will forgive those who do not ask for forgiveness. From this day forward, my history will cease to control my destiny. I have forgiven myself. My life has just begun.
- I WILL PERSIST WITHOUT EXCEPTION: I possess the greatest power ever bestowed upon mankind. I hold fast to my dreams. I stay the course. I do not quit. I acknowledge that most people quit when exhaustion sets in, but I am not “most people.” I am stronger than most people. Average people compare themselves with other people, and that is why they remain average. I compare myself to my potential. I am not average. I see exhaustion as a precursor to victory. By persisting without exception, my outcome—my success—is assured.
It is my wish that you have gained something positive and productive from reading about these seven decisions. I strongly believe that there is nothing you can’t do if you have the proper mindset and conviction. Hire me to speak to your organization, company, or next event, and let me help you chart your path to creating a productive mindset that will last a lifetime. Contact me directly at 402-680-8448 or email@example.com
If not now, then when? And if not you, then who?
What People in the Audience are Saying…
With Van's passion, humor and experience you can be assured of one thing- your audience is going to get fired-up, built-up, and fully charged –up. As an entrepreneur at the top of his game Van is in the unique position of being able to "talk the talk" because he has "walked the walk". Over the years he has been a great inspiration to me and my staff. Van is a speaker with charisma, humility and impact and he's a difference maker in the lives of the people he touches…"
I wanted to thank you for coming and speaking with our company today. I thought your presentation was awesome! I was really motivated and inspired by your thoughts and ideas. I will use this motivation to grow my business and my personal life.”
We are delighted you will be accepting the award for Omaha’s Top 25 fastest growing companies. Congratulations on your outstanding growth and we wish you continued success.”
Thank you for running such a class act company. It is an honor and a pleasure to be associated with someone such as yourself. I know you are probably one of the most respected businessmen in the region.”
Congratulations on writing “Selling from the heart” and thank you for sharing a copy with me. Your class has been one of the most enjoyable classes I’ve ever taken. Your enthusiasm and passion for your work are awesome. But the most refreshing part of the class was your delightful sense of humor. Thank you again for being a fantastic teacher.”
Kudos to you, Van, for reaching a major goal. But more than that...For successfully building one of Omaha’s best companies from scratch and making it thrive even in less than ideal market conditions. You have realized the American Dream...And brought it home to many, many others. My best to you!”
Having you here again was such a blessing to so many! As I looked at the pictures, I could see just how interested each and every person was in what you had to say!
This has been such a gift to our agents when they need it the most. The fact that you come, you are so genuine and caring, you are so honest, you are not trying to sell anything and your passion to help each and every person believe in themselves and become the best they can be is HUGE! The timing is perfect for us all helping and caring about each other, so, thank YOU from the bottom of my heart for giving of yourself to help all of us!”
I enjoyed your seminar and its focus. I was on the fence whether or not to attend and decided why not? I could have sat through an all day session if there was one, usually I end up at the seminars that start with a focus and quickly go astray. I found with yours time flew by too fast and it was already time to go but I wasn’t ready to go.”