December 2021 Newsletter Create next year’s blueprint
Create next year’s blueprint
Be prepared! You are going to hear a lot this month about goal setting.
In December most of us start talking about what we want to accomplish in the New Year. This is the perfect time to make a blueprint of what you expect from yourself. Remember that if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.
Don’t overthink it. Goal setting is really not that difficult. Be honest about what you expect from yourself next year. Then, once you have a clear picture in your mind, put it in writing.
Did you know that only about 3% of us have created a written plan or written goals? Many people put more time and energy into planning their next vacation than they devote to planning their career. If you intend to get better at what you are doing and to accomplish more, you need to have a plan.
Setting goals will change the trajectory of your life, but only if your goals are part of a strategic plan of action… in other words, a blueprint.
“True nobility is not about being better than anyone else, it’s about being better than you used to be.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer
The life you are envisioning begins when you become CLEAR about the goals you set for yourself and you feel confident that when you achieve them, you’ll be living your best life!
If you spend a small amount of time each day working on your personal growth, you can significantly change your life. That’s all it takes to become the confident, productive person you want to be – spending a few minutes a day learning new skills and developing strategies to create success.
“You need a plan to build a house. To build a life, it is even more important to have a plan or goal.” – Zig Ziglar
When you’re setting goals, it never hurts to review the fundamentals. This happens all the time in football. When a reporter talks to a coach whose team is down by 7 points at halftime and asks him what the team is going to do differently during the second half of the game, what does the coach say?
Almost always the coach will tell the reporter, “We’re going to go back to the fundamentals.” That is also what goal setting is all about: the basics and fundamentals. One of the common characteristics of a successful, productive person is that they master the basics and fundamentals of the objective they are trying to accomplish.
With that in mind, here are seven steps for creating a blueprint for success:
- Decide exactly what you want. Think about your goals until you are crystal clear on what you expect from yourself.
2. Write down your goals. Think on paper. When you write down a goal, you solidify its meaning and give it tangible form. You create something that you can touch and see. In contrast, a goal or objective that is never put in writing is merely a wish or a fantasy.
- Set a deadline for accomplishing each of your goals, because a goal or a decision without a deadline has no urgency. If you don’t set a definite deadline, you will naturally procrastinate and get very little done.
- Make a list of everything you can think of that you will have to do to achieve your goal. As you think of additional activities, add them to your list. Keep building your list until it is complete. A list gives you a visual picture. It gives you a track to run on.
- Organize your list into a plan. Take a few minutes to decide what you need to do first and what you can do later. With a written goal and an organized plan of action, you will be far more productive and efficient than people who are carrying goals around in their minds.
- Take action on your plan immediately. Do something. Do anything. An average plan executed is far better than a brilliant plan on which nothing is done.
- Resolve to do something every single day that moves you closer to achieving your goals. Build this activity into your daily schedule. Whatever it might be, make sure you are committed to doing it. Keep pushing forward. Once you start moving, don’t stop.
You have the God-given ability to make all of this happen in your life. You just have to take the necessary steps and remember not to overthink the process. Life is not a race, so take it one day at a time and enjoy the journey!
If not now, then when? And if not you, then who?
What People in the Audience are Saying…
With Van's passion, humor and experience you can be assured of one thing- your audience is going to get fired-up, built-up, and fully charged –up. As an entrepreneur at the top of his game Van is in the unique position of being able to "talk the talk" because he has "walked the walk". Over the years he has been a great inspiration to me and my staff. Van is a speaker with charisma, humility and impact and he's a difference maker in the lives of the people he touches…"
I wanted to thank you for coming and speaking with our company today. I thought your presentation was awesome! I was really motivated and inspired by your thoughts and ideas. I will use this motivation to grow my business and my personal life.”
We are delighted you will be accepting the award for Omaha’s Top 25 fastest growing companies. Congratulations on your outstanding growth and we wish you continued success.”
Thank you for running such a class act company. It is an honor and a pleasure to be associated with someone such as yourself. I know you are probably one of the most respected businessmen in the region.”
Congratulations on writing “Selling from the heart” and thank you for sharing a copy with me. Your class has been one of the most enjoyable classes I’ve ever taken. Your enthusiasm and passion for your work are awesome. But the most refreshing part of the class was your delightful sense of humor. Thank you again for being a fantastic teacher.”
Kudos to you, Van, for reaching a major goal. But more than that...For successfully building one of Omaha’s best companies from scratch and making it thrive even in less than ideal market conditions. You have realized the American Dream...And brought it home to many, many others. My best to you!”
Having you here again was such a blessing to so many! As I looked at the pictures, I could see just how interested each and every person was in what you had to say!
This has been such a gift to our agents when they need it the most. The fact that you come, you are so genuine and caring, you are so honest, you are not trying to sell anything and your passion to help each and every person believe in themselves and become the best they can be is HUGE! The timing is perfect for us all helping and caring about each other, so, thank YOU from the bottom of my heart for giving of yourself to help all of us!”
I enjoyed your seminar and its focus. I was on the fence whether or not to attend and decided why not? I could have sat through an all day session if there was one, usually I end up at the seminars that start with a focus and quickly go astray. I found with yours time flew by too fast and it was already time to go but I wasn’t ready to go.”